Chilivis Cochran Larkins & Bever LLP
- September 6, 2018, Bloomberg Law – BNA’s Health Care Daily Report quotes Scott Grubman in an article about criticizing a whistleblower’s ulterior motives: https://cclblawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/CompetitorWhistleblowers-article.pdf
- CCLB Partner Scott Grubman was quoted by Bloomberg Law in an article discussing transparency of healthcare fraud and abuse enforcement.
- CCLB Partner Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran has been named as one of Georgia’s Top 10 lawyers by the Georgia Super Lawyers.
- CCLB Partners Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran, Thomas D. Bever and John (“Randy”) D. Dalbey are named 2018 Georgia Super Lawyers, and Scott R. Grubman has been named a 2018 Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- CCLB Partners Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran, Thomas D. Bever and John (“Randy”) D. Dalbey are named 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers, and Scott R. Grubman has been named a 2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran has been recognized in the 24th edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law and Criminal Defense: White-Collar.
- Thomas D. Bever was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America© for the following practice areas: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2017). Tom was also named the Best Lawyers 2017 Atlanta Criminal Defense: White-Collar “Lawyer of the Year” in Atlanta.
- Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran has been recognized in the 23rd edition of The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law and Criminal Defense: White-Collar.
- John K. Larkins, Jr. has been recognized in the 23rd edition of Best Lawyers in the practice area of Commercial Litigation.
- Scott R. Grubman has been selected by Georgia Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Healthcare for the fourth year in a row.
- January 23, 2017, Healthcare IT News quotes Scott Grubman in an article about how new technology is impacting old regulations in healthcare law:
Fulton County Daily Report – October 18, 2016
Remembering Nick Chilivis, Atlanta Litigation Firm Founder
Colleagues and friends remember the late Nickolas P. “Nick” Chilivis, founder of the Atlanta litigation firm Chilivis, Cochran, Larkins & Bever, as both an extraordinary lawyer dedicated to his clients and profession, and an extraordinary man. Gary Grindler, co-founder of the firm who now practices in Washington, D.C., recalled defending a former member of President Jimmy Carter’s cabinet, Bert Lance, with Nick against charges of bank fraud. “After a grueling five-month trial which ended with a stunning verdict of not guilty on all counts, the news media was eagerly waiting outside the courthouse to hear what Nick would say about the trial. As we were about to get in the elevator to go down to the press conference, a young lawyer from our law firm who, during the trial, had assumed responsibilities for one of Nick’s cases, walked up and told Nick that he was going to a court appearance in that matter and was nervous about it. Ignoring the scores of reporters, cameras and microphones waiting to hear Nick talk about this great victory, Nick went straight to the court appearance to help this young lawyer. Nick’s complete and total commitment to his clients—no matter the nature of the case—was unparalleled and serves as a remarkable example of professionalism for all attorneys to aspire to.”
Anthony L. Cochran, currently the firm’s senior partner, recalled a similar experience while trying a high-profile case with Nick. “Nick was defending an attorney who had been charged with immigration fraud and was cross-examining one of the government’s star witnesses, a former client of the attorney. When Nick gently asked her about conflicting testimony she had given before the grand jury, she suddenly burst into tears. Without batting an eye, Nick pulled his handkerchief from his coat pocket and handed it to the witness, waited a moment, then continued his cross. Judge Tidwell called it the best cross-examination he ever had seen. After the trial, she sent the handkerchief, laundered and neatly folded, back to Nick—with a note thanking him!”
Nick’s reputation extended throughout Georgia. Partner Tom Bever says, “when I returned to Atlanta after working on the Iran-Contra investigation, I sought advice from a District Court Judge outside of Atlanta and a former United States Attorney.” “They both guided me to this firm.”
Partner Randy Dalbey added “when I sought guidance in my job search from the District Judge in Augusta for whom I was clerking, he told me he respected the other Atlanta firm with which I spoke but that any young lawyer who has the chance to practice with Nick Chilivis and doesn’t do so will regret it.” “I took his advice and, during my first 15 years at the firm, every time I told a judge or lawyer what firm I was with, the inevitable reply was ‘is that NICK Chilivis?’ I still get that routinely today.”
“Nick was so accommodating with his time,” remarked Mr. Cochran, “he often had to go home to get any of his own work done. We all just enjoyed being around him, whether talking about our cases or anything else.” “Everyone at the firm loved Nick so much that employees named children after him,” added Mr. Dalbey.
Partner John Larkins, who also practiced law in Athens where Nick began his career, said that “Nick would tell me the Athens Stories. One in particular describes Nick perfectly: One day, a lady walked into a beauty parlor in Athens and announced that she was spitting mad at Nick, because he called her husband a liar in open court. At that point another lady said, ‘Madam, Nick Chilivis may have proved your husband is a liar, but he would never have called him one.'” Summing up the thoughts of all of his colleagues, Mr. Larkins continued “I will miss him terribly as a mentor and friend.”
In Memoriam of Nickolas P. Chilivis – October 4, 2016
The Atlanta law firm Chilivis, Cochran, Larkins and Bever is sad to announce the passing of our founder and friend, Nickolas “Nick” P. Chilivis. Following a distinguished legal career in both private practice and public service, Nick Chilivis began the firm, originally Chilivis and Grindler, with Gary Grindler in the basement of his house in 1984. After retiring in 2002, he retained Of Counsel status with the firm. During his 50-year career, Nick was universally recognized as a legal giant, one of those rare lawyers able to successfully represent virtually any client in any type of case, no matter how complicated or high-profile. Yet Nick never sought the spotlight for himself or compromised his integrity, always remaining a true gentleman and a credit to his profession. “Nick always taught us that an attorney must be dedicated to his or her clients, but never compromise his or her integrity or the ethical standards required in the practice of law,” said the firm’s managing partner Randy Dalbey, a partner in the firm since 1998. “Those of us who had the good fortune of being trained and mentored by Nick both as attorneys and people have been truly blessed, and we will miss him terribly. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
- In January 2017, CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman will be presenting at HCCA’s Managed Care Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- In October 2016, CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman will be presenting at the AHLA’s Fraud and Compliance Forum in Baltimore, and at HCCA’s Healthcare Enforcement Compliance Institute in Washington, D.C.
- CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman has been named Vice Chair for the AHLA Healthcare Liability and Litigation Practice Group.
- Chilivis Cochran Larkins & Bever LLP takes pleasure in announcing that Mary Ellen Robinson, formerly of Jones Day, has joined the firm as an associate.
- CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman has been named to the Board of Directors of the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys (GAHA). GAHA is part of the Georgia Hospital Association (GHA), a nonprofit trade association with a mission to advance the health of individuals and communities by serving as the leading advocate for all Georgia hospitals and health care systems.
- CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman has been selected to serve as a speaker at the Annual Meeting of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) in Denver this summer. Scott will be speaking about representing individuals in connection with healthcare-related government investigations.
- Listen to CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman speak on Top Docs Radio, a radio program sponsored by the Medical Association of Georgia, on trends in healthcare fraud and abuse enforcement: http://topdocs.businessradiox.com/2016/02/29/health-care-fraud-and-false-claims/
- CCLB Partners Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran, John K. Larkins, Jr., Thomas D. Bever and John (“Randy”) D. Dalbey are named 2016 Georgia Super Lawyers, and Scott R. Grubman has been named a 2016 Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- On March 10, CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman will present at ACI’s 16th Annual Forum on Fraud and Abuse in the Sales and Marketing of Medical Devices in Boston. Scott will be presenting an interactive workshop on implementing and upgrading healthcare compliance programs.
- On February 23, CCLB Partner Scott R. Grubman will be a featured guest on Top Docs Radio, a radio program sponsored by the Medical Association of Georgia. The topic will be trends in healthcare fraud and abuse enforcement. After the show, the recording will be available on MAG’s website (http://www.mag.org/resources/TopDocs).
- CCLB partner Scott R. Grubman has been appointed to serve a two-year term on the Anti-Defamation League’s Southeast Region Board of Directors. Founded in 1913, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is the nation’s premier civil rights/human relations agency, fighting anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry and discrimination in the United States and abroad through information, education, legislation, and advocacy. The ADL serves as a resource for government, media, law enforcement, educators and the public.
- The Southeast regional office of the ADL offers programs and services that advance the ADL mission in four states: Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee, and is headquartered in Atlanta, home to the largest Jewish community in the Southeast. For more information about the ADL, please click here.
- Anthony (“Tony”) L. Cochran has been recognized in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law and Criminal Defense: White-Collar. Congratulations to Tony Cochran for being including for at least 20 years.
- John K. Larkins, Jr. has been recognized in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Commercial Litigation. Congratulations to John Larkins for being included for at least 20 years.
- Thomas D. Bever has been recognized in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White-Collar. Congratulations to Tom Bever for being included for at least 10 years.
- Scott R. Grubman was selected for the 2015 class for “On the Rise” by The Daily Report. This group is a selection of Georgia lawyers, under the age of 40, who are making a difference in their community. All candidates were nominated by colleagues, co-counsel, mentors, friends and The Daily Report staff. See Full Article.
- Scott R. Grubman has been appointed to serve in a leadership position in the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA). Scott will serve as the Community Engagement Coordinator for the AHLA’s Young Professional Council 2015-2016.
- Scott R. Grubman has been appointed to serve in a leadership position in the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA). Scott will serve on the AHLA’s 2015-2016 Quality Council. Scott and CCLB are excited to serve such a great organization.
- Scott R. Grubman has been appointed to the leadership of the American Bar Association (ABA) Health Law Section. Scott will serve as Vice Chair of the Health Lawyer Editorial Board. The ABA Health Law Section is one of the leading organizations for health lawyers in the country, and CCLB is excited to contribute to such a great organization.
- US News & World Report – Chilivis Cochran Larkins & Bever LLP is Ranked in Tier 1 for White Collar Criminal Defense in Georgia
Chilivis Cochran Larkins & Bever LLP